Thursday, 24 May 2012

The 'Mellish technique'

So far I've sketched with graphite pencils on to white paper then scanning and inverting in Photoshop which I think is the most popular method of sketching.
Two things bothered me about this approach though -
1/ Drawing faint nebulas like M42 would be quite tricky and maybe not 100% accurate.
2/ As much as its good to have your sketches stored on a computer it would be nice to have a hard copy you can hold in your hands and see it as a positive rather than black on white.

Whilst browsing one of the American forums I came across another technique which solved the problems above, rather than explain it myself take a look at the link below for a good explanation by Alexander Massey.
Mellish technique explained.

The only downside I can see with this is when you need to digitalise the finished sketch you won't get the deep blacks you get from a scanned image but personally I think I can live with that.


More examples of the Mellish technique -
Scott Mellish
Alexander Massey

No comments:

Post a Comment