Sunday, 4 May 2014

M101




M101
Constellation - Ursa Major
Spiral galaxy
Distance - 22mly
Mag 7.9

Date 1/5/14
Transparency - Excellent
SQM 21.51 (LM 6.4)

Telescope 16" f/4.5
EP 14mm Delos x135 (TFoV 0.32')

Sketch notes
Just a few degrees of the zenith with excellent transparency, this was the best I've ever seen M101 although it still took my eyes a while to adjust and get used to how dim it is due to its low surface brightness. The sketch makes the spiral arms look alot more pronounced than what they actually look like.
I would have liked to increased magnification and maybe try a UHC but nudging the scope at those altitudes was just too hard, I'II come back to this sketch another time and try to add more detail.
Two bright patches were seen, at the top was NGC 5450/5447 and the bottom arm showed another hazy patch which I think was NGC5462.

No comments:

Post a Comment